Virtual Learning by The Stuttering Foundation is an online series of free, interactive workshops with a variety of offerings for speech-language pathologists, parents, and individuals who stutter.
The series includes monthly offerings ranging from clinical training opportunities, to parent education, to a platform for people who stutter of all ages to share their stories. Sessions are moderated by many of the world’s leading clinicians, researchers, and self-help advocates — bringing learning and collaboration to you.
Assessing Preschoolers for Stuttering
Speaker: Ellen M. Kelly, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BCS-F, The Stuttering Foundation
Date: Thursday, June 22, 2023
Time: 12:00-1:30pm ET
Description: The complexity of stuttering development necessitates a multifaceted approach to assessment of preschoolers. Rationale for and specific elements of screening and comprehensive assessment protocols for use with preschoolers suspected of stuttering, and their caregivers, will be provided. Case examples will be used to illustrate prioritization of assessment measures and formulation of recommendations to caregivers.
You will be able to:
- Provide rationale for multifaceted assessment of preschoolers suspected of stuttering.
- Identify elements of screening for stuttering and other challenges in preschoolers.
- Outline a comprehensive assessment of speech, language, and communication in preschoolers who are stuttering.
- Describe application of screening or assessment results to recommendations to caregivers of preschoolers who are stuttering.
- Target Audience: Speech-Language Pathologists*, Students
- There is no fee for this event
*This course is not eligible for CEUs
Bio: Ellen M. Kelly, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BCS-F, is Vice President for Professional Development at the Stuttering Foundation where she contributes to the creation and dissemination of resources and provides consultation to those who stutter and their families. For more than 35 years, she has integrated her education in speech-language pathology and psychology to provide specialized clinical practice, education, and research in stuttering within university, medical center, and private practice settings. Reach out to Ellen anytime at: AskStutteringFoundation@stutteringhelp.org